The future is rarely as tangible as at the International Motor Show (IAA) in Frankfurt: the new ID.3 from Volkswagen – the first fully electric production car of the all-new ID. family. Its base price will be less than €30,0002. The ID.3 has the potential to usher in a new era of large-scale electric mobility production. “The ID.3 is the world’s first electric car with a CO2-neutral footprint. Consequently, it is making its mark: for innovative technology, for the freedom of individual mobility and for climate protection”, Ralf Brandstätter, Chief Operating Officer of the Volkswagen Passenger Cars Brand, explained at IAA today.
At IAA (12 to 22 September) the ID.3 will be accompanied by two more electric Volkswagen models: the most recent generation of the also premiering e-up!1/2 and the current e-Golf2/3. That’s three Volkswagens and three zero-emission vehicles for today and tomorrow. Volkswagen will also showcase other concept cars within the ID. family as part of an outlook on the future: the spacious ID. CROZZ4 SUV, the ID. BUZZ4, celebrated as tomorrow’s van icon, the avant-garde ID. VIZZION4 saloon and the ID. BUGGY4 beach cruiser. These vehicles will merge the present with the future at the IAA 2019 and launch the Volkswagen Passenger Cars Brand and automotive mobility into a new era.
ID.3 1ST – the visionary car. Like all members of the ID. family, the new ID.3’s design is based on the modular electric drive matrix (MEB) developed by Volkswagen. In mid-May, Volkswagen successfully started the pre-booking phase for the ID.3 1st edition1 – an exclusive special edition, limited to 30,000 vehicles, with a comprehensive set of features.
The ID.3 1ST will be offered with the medium-sized of the model’s three available battery sizes and deliveries have been scheduled to begin in mid-2020. The base price for this model will be less than €40,000. This price will include up to 2,000 kWh of electricity for one year following the day of the vehicle’s initial registration. The battery in the ID.3 1ST has a capacity of 58 kWh. This battery will supply energy to the 107-kW electric motor and enable a top speed of 160 km/h and a range of up to 420 kilometres (WLTP). The ID.3 will also be offered with a 45-kWh or 77-kWh battery. The ID.3 with the 45-kWh battery will be able to travel up to 330 kilometres (WLTP) with one battery charge. Opt for the 77-kWh variant and the range increases to up to 550 kilometres (WLTP).
e-up! – the smart car. With the new e-up! Volkswagen makes electric mobility affordable for all. The new and significantly lower base price will be €21,975 in Germany. At the same time the four-door vehicle’s range increases to up to 260 kilometres thanks to a new battery system (capacity: 32.3 kWh usable net capacity). It offers smart mobility and zero-emission driving for companies, company car drivers and private motorists. A particularly attractive leasing offer will be available in Germany at the launch of the pre-sales phase: anyone sealing the deal on one of the first e-up! vehicles between 18 September and 31 October 2019 will be able to lease the zero emission vehicle generating 61 kW/83 PS and including Infotainment, smartphone integration as well as air conditioning system for only €1595 a month.
e-Golf – the versatile car. Since 2014, the most popular car in Europe, the Volkswagen Golf, has also been offered as a zero-emission vehicle in the form of the e-Golf. The e-Golf was Volkswagen’s first major production model in the compact class to be equipped with an electric drive system. The second generation of the electric vehicle was launched in 2017 with new technology. The e-Golf with an output of 100 kW/136 PS has a range in real driving situations of between 170 and 230 kilometres6. Thanks to its range, the e-Golf, with its now also significantly reduced price as a result of economies of scale, ideally matches the usage patterns of people travelling around cities in their cars. For this reason, Volkswagen is also using 1,500 e-Golf models for the “WeShare” carsharing programme launched in Germany’s capital Berlin in 2019. In 2020 “WeShare” is also due to be launched in Hamburg and Prague.
1) The vehicle is not yet available for sale.
2) All prices and equipment are for the German market
3) e-Golf: NEDC power consumption in kWh/100 km, combined: 13.8 – 12.9 kWh/100 km; combined CO2 emissions: 0 g/km; efficiency class: A+.
4) Concept vehicle.
5) Offer provided by Volkswagen Leasing GmbH, Gifhorner Str. 57, D-38112 Braunschweig, for the e-up! at participating Volkswagen Partners until 31 October 2019. Requires adequate credit rating. Recommended retail price: €21,975. Net loan amount (purchase price), taking into account the Volkswagen Environmental Bonus and other discounts: €17,370.90. Special leasing payment: €2,000.00, 36 monthly leasing instalments of €159.00, total €7,724.00. Borrowing rate (fixed) 0.10%, effective annual interest rate of 0.10%, 36-month term, 10,000 km annual mileage. Consumers have a statutory right of withdrawal.
6) *The actual range achieved under real conditions varies depending on the driving style, speed, use of comfort features or auxiliary equipment, ambient temperature, number of passengers/load, and terrain. The range span serves as an orientation aid for the specific vehicle and reflects what 80% of our customers will achieve as a yearly average. The lower limit of the span also covers driving on the motorway at moderate speeds and driving at low temperatures in winter.