In normal circumstances, at this time of the year, sporting enthusiasts would be swapping stories and opinions on the latest Super Rugby and Absa Premier football results.
Runners would be gearing up for the Comrades Marathon and we would be licking our lips in anticipation of the French Open, Wimbledon, British Open golf and the next Formula 1 race. The English Premiership League and FA Cup would be holding us in suspense and local athletes would be hard at training for the Olympic Games, originally scheduled for July/August this year in Japan.
Unfortunately, these events have been either cancelled or suspended, leaving sports fans without their usual dose of entertainment. So, to whet your sporting appetite, here is a fun sports quiz to alleviate the boredom and tease those lockdown brain cells.
Give yourself one point for every correct answer and where two answers are required, a half point each. A score of 20 is a full house. (The answers are provided at the bottom of the page.)
- Who is the most test-capped Springbok rugby player of all time?
- Three Springboks have been voted World Rugby Player of the Year. In 2019, it was Pieter-Steph du Toit. Who were the other two? (½ point each.)
- The Springboks have won the World Cup on 3 occasions. No second place, but how many times have they ended in third place?
- John Smit captained the Springboks a record 87 times. Who is next on the list in terms of tests as captain?
- Who has scored the most test centuries for the Proteas?
- South Africa played the first international one-day cricket match, after readmission, against India in 1991. Who was the South African captain?
- Which Protea cricketer has the nickname ‘The Phalaborwa Express’?
- Who holds the South African record for the highest score in a test innings and against whom did he achieve this record? (½ point each.)
- A South African soccer player who played for Ajax Cape Town went on to have a successful career with English Premier League club, Everton, from 2007 to 2010. Who is he?
- Who was captain of Bafana Bafana when our national soccer team won the African Cup of Nations in 1996?
- Which player scored the opening goal at the 2010 Soccer World Cup in South Africa, playing against whom? (½ point each.)
- Which South African tennis player reached the men’s singles final at Wimbledon in 1985? Who was his opponent in the final? (½ point each.)
- A South African tennis player won the Australian Open men’s singles title in 1981 and 1982. Who is he?
- How many times did Bruce Fordyce win the Comrades Marathon?
- Which South African swimmer was voted FINA World Swimmer of the year in 2018?
- A South African athlete broke the 400m world record. Who is he and at which event did he achieve this feat? (½ point each.)
- Who became South Africa’s first professional world heavyweight boxing champion?
- How many Golf Major Championships has Ernie Els won? Which Major was the last he won? (½ point each.)
- Who was voted South Africa’s greatest sportsman of the 20th century?
- Which South African hockey player holds the world record for goals scored in international matches by a female player?
- 18 – 20: Gold Medal – you’re a sports guru!
- 15 –17: Silver Medal – you know your sport
- 12 – 14: Bronze Medal – fair knowledge
- Below 12: I suggest you stick to bridge and jigsaws…
- Victor Matfield (127)
- Schalk Burger (2004) Bryan Habana (2007)
- Twice (In 1999 they were beaten by the All Blacks and in 2015 by Argentina)
- Jean de Villiers (37, one ahead of Gary Teichman)
- Jacques Kallis (45, followed by Hashim Amla, 27)
- Clive Rice
- Dale Steyn
- Hashim Amla, against England
- Steven Pienaar
- Neil Tovey
- Siphiwe Tshabalala, against Mexico
- Kevin Curren, against Boris Becker
- Johan Kriek
- Nine times
- Chad le Clos
- Wayde van Niekerk, at the Rio Olympics, 2016
- Gerrie Coetzee
- Four. The last one was the British Open
- Gary Player
- Pietie Coetzee (287)