It is with a heavy heart that I learnt from a resident of Paradise Park that his cat had died from poisoning last week. His dog had also consumed some of the poison but fortunately, due to the quick treatment by a local vet, the dog was saved. However, the dog is still very ill and the vet was able to determine that the poison used was a toxic garden insecticide.

This is not the first time cats living in Paradise Park have been poisoned. Under the Animal Protection Act No. 71 of 1962, if a person is found guilty of such an offence, he/she will be liable for a fine and/or imprisonment. We have previously put out an appeal to the residents of Paradise Park to come forward with any information in this regard which could lead to the arrest of the perpetrator. We are again calling on the residents to do so. This heinous act of cruelty cannot be allowed to continue. It’s sad enough losing a beloved pet, but when this is due to the inhumane behaviour of others, it is totally unacceptable.

HAWS has previously informed the residents of Paradise Park that if there are feral cats in the area, to please let us know and we will arrange to have these cats trapped. In the past, we have also sterilised many cats so there is no need to resort to poisoning these animals. I am not suggesting that the resident’s cat that died was feral or unsterilized; on the contrary. I am merely bringing to the attention of residents the type of service HAWS is able to offer.

I will end off with the words of Mahatma Gandhi: “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated. Life is as precious to us as it is for an animal.”

Leave a Reply

Please Login to comment
avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of